Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mr Tiffany, the world's coolest pet


I know this is supposed to be a blog about Chinese manufacturing, but I have to tell one personal story. A couple weeks ago, my fiance Colin and I were coming home from dinner in Hong Kong in the middle of a heavy downpour when we happened upon a blind, newborn rat drowning in the alley near our apartment. He was such a pitiful sight - soaking wet, his eyes still shut, barely able to walk. He had minutes to live, we felt sure, before someone came and stepped on him or worse. We were so moved that we decided to take him in, knowing all the while that he probably wouldn't make it through the night. We brought him upstairs and put him in a Tiffany box that we had lying around, and somehow, because he's a survivor and because Colin has extraordinary parenting skills, he made it through the night. And the night after that. Because we were leaving for the UK, we found a wonderful foster mom in Alainna Wrigley of Human Rights in China, who has been sending us regular updates about our little guy, now known as Mr Tiffany. She just sent us this picture, which I couldn't resist posting. I'm so grateful to Alainna, and to Sharon Hom of HRIC, who introduced us. You have to admit, Mr Tiffany is pretty cute.

1 comment:

alai said...

I'm so glad that you all saved him!! He was such a pleasure to have. I just know he's going to grow into a fat, healthy, adorable rat in mere weeks. =D